Nuffnang

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I don't like Mondays - Boomtown Rats

I've heard this song a few times in the past and i have always find it catchy, but couldn't really be bothered to google and download the mp3.

The last time i heard the song was in Ah Gene korkor's car on the way to JB to fetch my bro. And i made a mental note to remind myself to download this song.

being a goldfish, i now only remember....





The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload
And nobodys gonna go to school today
Shes gonna make them stay at home
And daddy doesnt understand it
He always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be show-ow-ow-ow-own?

Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down

The Telex machine is kept so clean
And it types to a waiting world
And mother feels so shocked
Fathers world is rocked
And their thoughts turn to their own little girl
Sweet 16 aint that peachy keen
Now that aint so neat to admit defeat
They can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reasons do you need?
Oh Oh Oh Oh

Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot
The whole day down, down, down, shoot it all down

And all the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with the toys a while
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles
And the captain tackles
(With the problems of the how's and why's)
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die, die?
Oh Oh Oh

Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like
I dont like (Tell me why)
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I dont like
I dont like (Tell me why)
I dont like Mondays
Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down


Then i found out that there's a wiki page for this song. which surprised me. so i went to read....
"I Don't Like Mondays" is a song by the Boomtown Rats that was a UK number one single for four weeks during the summer of 1979. Written by Bob Geldof and performed by The Boomtown Rats, it was the band's second number one single.

According to Geldof, he wrote the song after reading a telex report at Georgia State University's campus radio station, WRAS, on the shooting spree of 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer, who fired at children playing in a school playground at Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, California on 29 January 1979. She killed two adults and injured eight children and one police officer. Spencer showed no remorse for her crime, and her full explanation for her actions was "I don't like Mondays; this livens up the day." The song was first performed less than a month later. Geldof explained how he wrote the song:

I was doing a radio interview in Atlanta with Fingers and there was a telex machine beside me. I read it as it came out. Not liking Mondays as a reason for doing somebody in, is a bit strange. I was thinking about it on the way back to the hotel, and I just said 'Silicone (sic) chip inside her head had switched to overload'. I wrote that down. And the journalists interviewing her said, 'Tell me why?' It was such a senseless act. It was the perfect senseless act and this was the perfect senseless reason for doing it. So perhaps I wrote the perfect senseless song to illustrate it. It wasn't an attempt to exploit tragedy.

and i went O.o so i snooped a little more on Brenda Ann Spencer and here's what i got from wiki:

On January 29, 1979, Brenda Ann Spencer put herself by a window in her home and began randomly shooting at Grover Cleveland Elementary School across the street. She opened fire as children were waiting outside for principal Burton Wragg to open the gate. The shooting claimed the lives of Wragg and Mike Suchar, and injured eight students and a police officer. Wragg was killed while trying to help the children, and Suchar was killed while trying to pull Wragg to safety.

After firing thirty rounds, Spencer barricaded herself inside her home for almost seven hours, warning police that she was going to "come out shooting." Ultimately, she surrendered to police. Although police officers found beer and whiskey bottles cluttered around the house, they stated that Spencer did not appear to be intoxicated.

When asked why she committed the gun attack Spencer replied, "I just did it for the fun of it. I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day. I have to go now. I shot a pig [policeman]. I think and I want to shoot more. I'm having too much fun [to surrender]." She also said, "I had no reason for it, and it was just a lot of fun," "It was just like shooting ducks in a pond," and, "[The children] looked like a herd of cows standing around; it was really easy pickings." At the time of the shootings, Spencer was 16 years old.

how screw up is that la? mind you, it happened in 1979. And all along, i thought all these senseless violence happened in recent years (i am super ignorant about current affairs)

when on a shooting spree just coz she fucking dont like mondays??? wtf?? thank goodness she is still lock up in prison and all her parole appeal has been rejected and her next parole appeal is in 2019 and i honestly think she shouldnt be release out in this world. what if after she is released, and she decided she dont like Sunday, how? go bomb some church ah? =.=

No comments:

Post a Comment